Chamber Trade Show This Weekend at ComplexApril 9, 2013
Cornwall Ontario – The Cornwall and Area Chamber of Commerce Spring Home and Leisure Show takes place this weekend (April 12-14) at the Cornwall Civic Complex.
The three-day show runs from Friday through Sunday.
Dozens of exhibitors will be on-hand for the show, which often helps to kick-start the spring construction and home-renovation season. The show is also important for other local merchants and business.
“With close to 100 exhibitors at the show featuring the latest in home, garden and leisure products and services, visitors will have much to look at and the opportunity to pick up some great ideas,” said Assistant Executive Manager, Amy Malyon.
The City of Cornwall will be welcoming residents this weekend too. As part of the show, Salon C of the Cornwall Civic Complex will be transformed into City Central, a unique exhibit featuring over 10 City departments and organizations. Staff will be on hand to answer questions and provide information on a variety of topics such as building permits, property taxes, garbage and recycling, Cornwall Transit and much more.
“This is a great opportunity for residents to learn about the programs and services that the city provides,” said Mayor Bob Kilger.
Visitors to the City Central exhibit will be able to find out about:
- Building permits and requirements for fences, pools and sheds.
- Rules for outdoor fires.
- 2013 planned road, sidewalk and bike lane projects.
- The City GIS System.
- The City Budget, taxation and purchasing services. Residents will be able to request a five-year comparison of the property taxes for their property.
- Garbage, recycling, leaf and yard waste and hazardous waste day programs.
- The Spring Clean-Up Challenge (registration will be taken on the spot).
- Wastewater Treatment Plant upgrade project.
- Volunteer water meter program.
- The emerald ash borer (an invasive beetle that destroys native ash trees). Parks and Landscaping Supervisor Jim Althouse will also be making presentations at the show on Saturday at 2 pm and Sunday at 11 am.
- Cornwall Transit routes and schedules.
- On-the-spot bicycle registration (serial number and model is required).
- Emergency management and public access defibrillators.
- Programs and services at the Cornwall Public Library.
In addition, visitors will have a chance to win prizes from some of the participating departments, and children will be able to get a up-close look at a police cruiser and various Municipal Works vehicles.
Now in its 21st year, the Chamber of Commerce Spring Home & Leisure Show features over 100 exhibitors as well as presentations, food demonstrations, water craft and RV displays and much more. The show attracts thousands of visitors from across the region.
The Spring Home & Leisure Show begins on Friday from 4 to 9 p.m. and continues on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Admission to the show is $5 for adults and $4 for seniors and students. Admission is free for children under 12 who are accompanied by an adult.
The photo above was taken by Todd Lihou of the Cornwall Seaway News. The Seaway News will also be exhibiting at the Spring Home & Leisure Show.