Applications Now Open for Summer CompanyFebruary 6, 2020
Cornwall, Ontario – Students looking to do something different this summer can now apply for funding to help them start a small business.
Summer Company is a the name of a program that includes advice and mentorship from the Cornwall Business Enterprise Centre , along with some grant dollars that can help make the business a success.
“Learning how to run a business is one of the best summer jobs a student can have,” says Ryan Kuhn, Program Coordinator with the Cornwall Business Enterprise Centre. “Participants of the program get to be their own boss while learning what it takes to manage a business. Sales, marketing, bookkeeping, customer relationship management and networking are just a few of the highly useful skills participants will develop.”
To be eligible for the Summer Company program, participants must:
- go to high school, college or university
- live in Ontario
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- be between 15-29 years old (if under 18: a parent or guardian must sign the agreement for the applicant)
- not be running a business already
- not be working at another job or going to school for more than 12 hours a week during the program
- be returning to school after the program ends
- not be applying again, if you have received a Summer Company grant in the past
- other requirements may apply – speak with your local Business Enterprise Centre for more details
Students who are accepted into the Summer Company program will receive up to $1,500 upfront to help with start-up costs. An additional $1,500 will be available for participants who successfully complete the program requirements by the end of the summer. In total, successful Summer Company participants will receive up to $3,000 in grant awards.
How to Apply
Those interested in applying for the 2020 program must complete their applications by May 15, or when capacity is reached. This year, the Business Enterprise Centre is able to accept 7 students from Cornwall, Akwesasne and SDG into the program. CBEC encourages those interested to submit applications much earlier than the posted deadline in order to have the best chance of being accepted.
Steps to apply are listed below:
- Visit www.ontario.ca/summercompany
- Check to see if you’re eligible for the program
- Complete the online application inquiry
- Select your local program provider
- Assign yourself a password
- Submit your application inquiry
The Cornwall Business Enterprise Centre can be reached for additional information by phone at 613-930-2787 extension 2276.
About the Cornwall Business Enterprise Centre
The Cornwall Business Enterprise Centre helps small business owners and entrepreneurs succeed in Cornwall, Stormont, Dundas, Glengarry & Akwesasne by offering information, tools and support during the start-up and growth stages of business operation. This includes administration of the Summer Company and Starter Company PLUS programs. The Cornwall Business Enterprise Centre is operated by Cornwall Economic Development and funded in part by the Government of Ontario.
The Cornwall Business Enterprise Centre is located at 100 Water Street East (Cornwall Civic Complex) and can be contacted by phone at 613-930-2787 x 2276 or online at:
- Web: http://businessenterprisecentre.ca/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CornwallBusiness
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/CornwallBiz