Drone Course Set to Fly Again at NAV CENTREJanuary 8, 2018
Cornwall Ontario – NAV CANADA, Carleton University and Ottawa Aviation Services are once again teaming up to offer a Professional Short Course in the operation of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV), often referred to as drones.
Entitled UAV/DRONE Types, Opportunities and Challenges, the 5-day course will be delivered at the NAV CENTRE from February 19-23, 2018.
A broad assortment of topics pertaining to both fixed-wing and rotary UAVs / Drones will be covered, including in-depth analysis on:
- Special Flight Operations Certificate (requirements, application, applied use and exceptions)
- Flight principles, functionality and controllability
- Detection, tracking and countermeasures
- Sensors and communication
- NAV CANADA Air Navigation System overview including:– Weather products and access– Contact references
- Potential opportunities and risks related to UAV/Drone use will also be discussed, along with current and pending Transport Canada policy and regulations. A group UAV workshop focusing on threat scenario, along with discussion on strategies for mitigation and response will support this topic.
- Flight Training session will focus on: Basic flight skills using stabilized and un-stabilized models. Manual and automatic flight profiles.
- Assessment for Restricted Operator Certificate with Aeronautical Qualification
Potential opportunities and risks related to UAV / Drone use will also be discussed, along with current and pending Transport Canada policy and regulations. A Group UAV workshop focusing on threat scenarios, along with discussion on strategies for mitigation and response will support this topic.
“The use of UAVs is increasing exponentially world wide as people explore opportunities in a variety of different fields,” says Garry Brown, Director of International Training Programs and Delivery for NAV CANADA. “The technology allows for innovative approaches to gathering images and information.”
Carleton University’s Faculty of Engineering and Design will be providing the course instructors, with additional expertise provided by NAV CANADA.
This will be the 4th UAV/Drone Course offered at NAV CENTRE. Course content will be focused towards:
- UAV application designers
- Flight Operations and Operation planners
- Project/program managers
- Scientists, specialists, engineers and technical based subject matter experts involved in the application of UAVs
- Law enforcement and first responders
- UAV entrepreneurs
- Technical managers
Course participants will be presented with a Carleton University and NAV CANADA joint attendance certificate upon completion.
The enrolment fee is $1500 per participant, which will cover the academic and ancillary costs of the course including instructors, classroom space and use of simulators, simulator support resources and supplies. Accommodation and meals are extra.
People looking to register are invited to contact Katherine MacLean at 613-936-5006 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This course is another example of the growing partnership between Carleton University and NAV CANADA. The two organizations are working to establish an Aerospace Centre of Excellence in Cornwall that would integrate the expertise of NAV CANADA, the country’s Air Navigation Services Provider, and Carleton, home of Canada’s first Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering program.
UAV is an acronym for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, which is an aircraft with no pilot on board. UAVs can be remote controlled aircraft (e.g. flown by a pilot at a ground control station) or can fly autonomously based on pre-programmed flight plans or more complex dynamic automation systems.
About NAV CENTRE
The NAV CENTRE is training and conference venue owned and operated by NAV CANADA. It offers access to 550 guest rooms, 70 state-of-the-art classrooms and meeting rooms, as well as an auditorium. Other amenities include a gymnasium and fitness facilities as well as multiple dining options. The NAV CENTRE is also an accredited member of the International Association of Conference Centres (IACC), provided for adhering to globally-recognized standards in hospitality service.
Categorised in: Business