Drone Course Takes to the Skies for the 5th TimeJune 5, 2019
Cornwall Ontario – Registration is now open for NAV CANADA’s UAV / Drone Certificate Course.
The 5-day RPAS Advanced Pilot Certificate and Licensing Course will take place from June 17 – 21, 2019 at the NAV CENTRE and once again NAV CANADA, Carleton University and Ottawa Aviation Services have teamed up to provide top-notch instruction in the operation of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV), often referred to as drones.
A broad assortment of topics pertaining to both fixed-wing and rotary UAVs / Drones will be covered, including in-depth analysis on:
- Special Flight Operations Certificate (requirements, application, applied use and exceptions)
- Flight principles, functionality and controllability
- Detection, tracking and countermeasures
- Sensors and communication
- NAV CANADA Air Navigation System overview including:– Weather products and access– Contact references
- Potential opportunities and risks related to UAV/Drone use will also be discussed, along with current and pending Transport Canada policy and regulations. A group UAV workshop focusing on threat scenario, along with discussion on strategies for mitigation and response will support this topic.
- Flight Training session will focus on: Basic flight skills using stabilized and un-stabilized models. Manual and automatic flight profiles.
- Assessment for Restricted Operator Certificate with Aeronautical Qualification
Potential opportunities and risks related to UAV / Drone use will also be discussed, along with current and pending Transport Canada policy and regulations. A Group UAV workshop focusing on threat scenarios, along with discussion on strategies for mitigation and response will support this topic.
“The use of UAVs is increasing exponentially world wide as people explore opportunities in a variety of different fields,” says Garry Brown, Director of International Training Programs and Delivery for NAV CANADA. “The technology allows for innovative approaches to gathering images and information.”
Carleton University’s Faculty of Engineering and Design will be providing the course instructors, with additional expertise provided by NAV CANADA.
This will be the 5th UAV/Drone Course offered at NAV CENTRE. Course content will be focused towards:
- UAV application designers
- Flight Operations and Operation planners
- Project/program managers
- Scientists, specialists, engineers and technical based subject matter experts involved in the application of UAVs
- Law enforcement and first responders
- UAV entrepreneurs
- Technical managers
Course participants will be presented with a Carleton University and NAV CANADA joint attendance certificate upon completion.
The enrolment fee is $2000 per participant, which will cover the academic and ancillary costs of the course including instructors, classroom space and use of simulators, simulator support resources and supplies. Accommodation and meals are extra.
People looking to register are invited to contact Katherine MacLean at 613-936-5006 or email@example.com. You can also click on the following link for more info:
This course is another example of the growing partnership between Carleton University and NAV CANADA. The two organizations are working to establish an Aerospace Centre of Excellence in Cornwall that would integrate the expertise of NAV CANADA, the country’s Air Navigation Services Provider, and Carleton, home of Canada’s first Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering program.
UAV is an acronym for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, which is an aircraft with no pilot on board. UAVs can be remote controlled aircraft (e.g. flown by a pilot at a ground control station) or can fly autonomously based on pre-programmed flight plans or more complex dynamic automation systems.
About NAV CENTRE
The NAV CENTRE is training and conference venue owned and operated by NAV CANADA. It offers access to 550 guest rooms, 70 state-of-the-art classrooms and meeting rooms, as well as an auditorium. Other amenities include a gymnasium and fitness facilities as well as multiple dining options. The NAV CENTRE is also an accredited member of the International Association of Conference Centres (IACC), provided for adhering to globally-recognized standards in hospitality service.