New funding for local social services providersMarch 25, 2020
Cornwall Ontario – The City of Cornwall’s Social and Housing Services department will be distributing new funding from the province.
The Government of Ontario announced Monday that they will provide $200 million in social services relief funding to help protect the health and safety of the province’s most vulnerable people in response to the outbreak of COVID-19.
Funding will be divided into two streams:
- $50 million for individuals: current and non social assistance clients
- $150 million for service managers who will have the flexibility to allocate the funding as they see fit to keep frontline critical social services operating to support Ontario’s most vulnerable
- Application procedures will be made available shortly.
- Organizations who would like to be notified directly can fill out this form.
Social services providers, such as shelters, food banks, emergency services, charities and non-profits continue to deliver their critical services, hire additional staff, and find ways to promote social/physical distancing and self-isolation to keep clients safe and healthy. Ontario’s municipal service managers will determine local needs and distribute the funding, ensuring clients are receiving the support they need.
“We are eagerly awaiting details about how much funding will be allocated to Cornwall, Stormont, Dundas, and Glengarry,” said Mayor Bernadette Clement. “I am reassured that additional resources will be available to the most vulnerable residents in our communities.”
Residents with questions about what support is available to them can call the City’s community resources helpline at 613-933-6282 ext. 3129. More information about application requirements will be shared as soon as possible.
- Visit Cornwall’s website learn more about how the City of Cornwall is responding to COVID-19.
- Visit Ontario’s website to learn more about how the province continues to protect Ontarians from COVID-19.
We summarize the latest news about the impacts of COVID-19 on Cornwall businesses on a daily basis. Click on the following link to view: