Ontario Launches New Tool to Support Trucking IndustryMay 1, 2020
Cornwall Ontario – The Ontario government is offering a new free 511 app which will provide truck drivers immediate access to the information they need to stay safe, fed and rested while delivering essential goods across the province during the COVID-19 outbreak.
“This app represents yet another important step that our government is taking to support truck drivers in their efforts to keep goods moving and deliver essential supplies, such as personal protective equipment (PPE),” said Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation. “The trucking industry plays a vital role in keeping our supply chain strong and our store shelves stocked.”
The Ontario 511 app provides images from over 600 cameras and includes up-to-date highway information on construction, collisions and road closures. It also identifies open rest areas and locations throughout the province that offer food and fuel. The app includes an easy to use map view and features a drive mode that provides hands free audio alerts.
“Drivers and carriers now have at their fingertips an abundance of information on accessible food service providers as well as newly-developed rest areas for drivers – many of which have been created at the direction of Minister Mulroney,” said Stephen Laskowski, President, Ontario Trucking Association. “The creation of the 511 app is much appreciated and comes at a perfect time for the hard-working drivers out on the roads helping to steer Ontarians out of this crisis.”
- Ontario 511 is a traveller information service that helps people plan their routes and travel safely and efficiently across the province.
- The Ontario 511 pilot app is available for free on the App Store and Google Play.
- Ontario is adding more places for truck drivers to safely stop and rest across the province. Parking and washrooms are now available at 23 ONroute travel plazas, 45 rest areas, 32 Truck Inspection Stations, 14 truck lay-bys and five Metrolinx Park n Rides.
- Every year, $1.26 trillion worth of goods are moved by trucks on Ontario’s roads.
- Learn about how the government is supporting people, businesses and families during COVID-19 by visiting Ontario’s website.
- Find rest areas and restaurants that are truck friendly, courtesy of the Ontario Trucking Association, by visiting the Ontario 511 website.
We summarize the latest news about the impacts of COVID-19 on Cornwall businesses on a daily basis. Click on the following link to view: