Ontario Working to Limit the Spread of COVID-19 on Construction SitesMarch 29, 2020
Cornwall Ontario – Ontario is stepping up measures to limit the spread of COVID-19 on construction sites across the province.
“The health and safety of construction workers is a top priority for our government,” said Monte McNaughton, Minister of Labour, Training and Skills Development. “With the COVID-19 situation changing day by day, we are working to ensure that workers have the tools they need to help keep job sites safe. We must do everything possible to fight the spread of this disease.
Ontario’s Chief Prevention Officer has announced updated guidance to help employers better understand their responsibilities and what is needed to prevent the spread of COVID-19 on the job site. The update follows an initial guidance document circulated on March 20, 2020, and addresses sector topics including:
- providing better on-site sanitation, including a focus on high-touch areas like site trailers, door handles and hoists
- communicating roles, responsibilities, and health & safety policies, by, for example, posting site sanitization schedules and work schedules
- enabling greater distances between workers by staggering shifts, restricting site numbers and limiting elevator usage
- protecting public health, by tracking and monitoring workers
Under Ontario law, employers must take every reasonable precaution to keep workers safe. Workers have the right to refuse unsafe work. If health and safety concerns are not resolved internally, a worker can seek enforcement by filing a complaint with the ministry’s Health and Safety Contact Centre at 1-877-202-0008.
Ministry inspectors are inspecting job sites every day. Employers and constructors should know: failure to comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations could result in a stop work order.
“Keeping job sites open during the current pandemic requires a heightened focus on health and safety,” said Mr. McNaughton. “We all have a role to play in preventing the spread of COVID-19.”
• Guidance to the construction sector on health and safety related to COVID-19.
We summarize the latest news about the impacts of COVID-19 on Cornwall businesses on a daily basis. Click on the following link to view: