Retail Worker Training Program now Open for IntakeMay 6, 2021
Cornwall Ontario – The Eastern Ontario Training Board will be offering a Retail Worker Training Course this summer. The course is now open for intake, and is part of an ongoing series of training programs that are offered in partnership with St. Lawrence College, Job Zone d’emploi and GIAG.
The course will run from August 9, 2021 to August 20, 2021. Details appear below:
Delivery method: In-person
Length of Training: 2 weeks
Cost: Free for eligible candidates
- Technical Skills: St. Lawrence College will prepare graduates to work in the retail industry. Training will be provided in customer service including handling difficult customers and customer retention, communications skills, sales training, store policies and procedures and retail math.
- Certifications: WHMIS, Health & Safety, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA)
- Pre-employment and soft skills: Resume writing, job search techniques, interview preparation, job readiness and retention, and self-management such as stress management, time management, problem solving and building confidence.
Employment: EOTB will assist participants in securing employment within the retail industry. Employers will receive a wage subsidy of approximately $10/hr for up to 35 hours per week for
12 weeks. Ongoing coaching is provided to assist with transition to employment.
Financial assistance: EOTB will purchase training on behalf of eligible candidates. Financial assistance may be available for items such as daycare and work attire.
Basic eligibility criteria:
- Resident of Cornwall, SDG-PR and Akwesasne (Ontario)
- Unemployed or under-employed
- Not in full-time education or training
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Experience a self-identified disability and not be in receipt of EI
- A youth, 30 years of age or younger, experiencing difficulty getting or keeping a job
How to apply: Interested candidates should call Job Zone d’emploi at 613-933-9675 or GIAG at 613-525-1522
About the Eastern Ontario Training Board
The Eastern Ontario Training Board (EOTB) plays a leading role in labour force development in the Cornwall region. It undertakes a number of projects throughout the year, and publishes the TOP report on local labour force issues. More info can be found online: