St. Lawrence College Launches New Full-Time Programs and Micro-CredentialsMarch 25, 2022
Cornwall Ontario – St. Lawrence College has launched three new full-time programs and a full slate of micro-credentials that are designed to meet the needs of industry, communities, workers who want to upskill, and life-long learners. The new offerings include a two-year Computer Programming course on the Cornwall Campus.
The three latest programs are as follows. They reflect the College’s commitment to offer relevant, accessible skills training and educational opportunities that align to industry and employer needs:
- Computer Programming: a two-year Ontario College Diploma offered on the Cornwall campus. Students will learn basic programming, problem-solving, software design, programming languages, and more.
- Food Safety and Security Techniques: a one-year (two semester) Ontario College Certificate offered on the Kingston campus. Taught by a multidisciplinary faculty team, students will gain a fundamental understanding of all segments of the supply chain from farm to table.
- Cybersecurity: a one-year (two semester) Ontario College Graduate Certificate offered on the Kingston campus. Teaches the skills needed to protect an organization’s computers, servers, networks, and applications from breaches and unauthorized access.
In addition to the new and existing program, SLC also offers a wide slate of micro-credentials, which are short, competency-based training opportunities that focus on in-demand workplace skills. They can be taken individually or stacked to build larger certificates, and multiple micro-credentials may serve as pathways to further education and other SLC programs. Each micro-credential earned comes with a digital badge that can be shared with employers and added to a digital profile or portfolio.
New offerings include:
- Cybersecurity: Mitigating Risk, Scam Identification, Scam Prevention, Scam Reporting
- Distribution Systems: Transportation Services, Logistics, Fleet Optimization, Fulfilment, Inventory Optimization
- Hospitality and Tourism: Culinary Basics, Housekeeping, Industry Fundamentals, Customer Service, Post-COVID-19 Standards, Tourism Ambassador (Kingston/Smiths Falls)
Coming This Spring and Summer:
- Machine Operator/Tester: Working with Steel: Machine Tool Safety, Heat Treat, Lathe, Milling Machine, Welding
- Health Information Management: Clinical Terminology, Clinical Coding, Classification & Abstracting, Digital Health Leadership
- Quality Assurance and Compliance: Documentation, Implementation, Marine Emergency Duties
“These latest programs show how SLC is responding to the needs of employers, the economy, and the various communities of learners we serve,” said Glenn Vollebregt, SLC President and CEO. “Flexible, fast, and practical training that equips folks for in-demand careers is a hallmark of an SLC education and these latest offerings reflect how we are staying current with our course offerings while continuing to equip graduates to succeed.”
About St. Lawrence College
St. Lawrence College is an integral part of the economic life and social fabric of Eastern Ontario, with campuses in Kingston, Brockville, and Cornwall. St. Lawrence College consistently ranks as one of Ontario’s leading community colleges, preparing students for the global economy with relevant, practical, and experiential learning opportunities. Offering over 100 full-time programs, St. Lawrence College is a close-knit community of 10,000 full-time students and more than 100,000 alumni.
You can find out more information on the St. Lawrence College website: