Training Program offers Introduction to the TradesSeptember 16, 2021
Cornwall Ontario – The Eastern Ontario Training Board will be offering a Introduction to the Trades Training Course this fall, with a focus on the automotive and construction sectors. The course is now open for intake, and is part of an ongoing series of training programs that are offered in partnership with St. Lawrence College, Job Zone d’emploi and GIAG.
The course will run from October 25, 2021 to November 26, 2021. Details appear below:
Delivery method: Blending learning / Classes in-person and online (access to a laptop may be available)
Length of Training: 5 weeks
Cost: Free for eligible candidates
- Technical Skills: Introduction to construction – including 2 micro-credentials: hand tools and power tools and introduction to automotive – oil and tire change, fluid check, light bulb change, fuse location and replacement. Participants will learn trade math as well as attend tours and guest speakers (delivered by St. Lawrence College)
- Certifications: Working at Heights, Confined Spaces, CPR and First Aid, WHMIS and Health & Safety
- Pre-employment and soft skills: Teamwork, communication skills, self-awareness, workplace success, harassment in the workplace, resume writing, job search techniques, interview preparation
Employment: EOTB will assist participants in securing employment within a skilled trade. We will work with participants (and employer) to assist through the process of applying as an apprentice. Ongoing coaching is provided to assist with transition to employment. Mentoring incentives are available to employers who hire our participants.
Financial assistance: EOTB will purchase training on behalf of eligible candidates. All participants will receive work boots. Financial assistance may be available for items such as transportation, daycare, work attire and equipment.
Basic eligibility criteria:
- Unemployed or under-employed
- Not in full-time education or training
- Resident of Ontario, legally entitled to work in Canada
- 18 years of age or older
How to apply: Interested candidates should call Job Zone d’emploi at 613-933-9675 or GIAG at 613-525-1533
About the Eastern Ontario Training Board
The Eastern Ontario Training Board (EOTB) plays a leading role in labour force development in the Cornwall region. It undertakes a number of projects throughout the year, and publishes the TOP report on local labour force issues. More info can be found online: