OPG Visitor Centre Opens for 2019 Summer SeasonMay 28, 2019
Cornwall Ontario – One of Cornwall’s most popular attractions has opened its doors for the season – just in time for Tourism Week!
The OPG Saunders Hydro Dam Visitor Centre is ready to welcome visitors for another summer of interactive learning at its beautiful facility on the banks of St. Lawrence River.
The OPG Visitor Centre offers a chance to learn about the history of the St. Lawrence Seaway and Power Project, one of Canada’s largest engineering projects. The Centre is equipped with interesting exhibits with explanations ranging from how electricity is generated in our area to information about Mohawk and Native American culture.
The fascinating building not only has a spectacular view of the St. Lawrence and RH Saunders Generating Station for visitors to enjoy, but also offers a wide range of unique activities. Visitors have the chance to chase a virtual electric eel up a ladder, spin a turbine to create electricity, watch videos about the creation of the dam, and learn to balance power production first-hand by becoming an operator for the day.
“We are excited about another tourism season here at the visitor centre,” says Matt Mulvihill, Communications Officer. “We hope to see many people come out to experience all that the centre has to offer.”
In addition to the exhibits, the centre offers a variety of free events throughout the summer. This year’s schedule includes:
- Tackleshare – Saturday, June 15th
- Budding Scientists with the River Institute – Saturday, June 22th
- OPG Environment Day – Saturday, July 6th
- OPG Family Fun Day – Saturday, July 13th
- Nocturnal Creatures Workshop with the River Institute – Wednesday, July 17th (6:30 pm – 9 pm)
- OPG Science and Technology Day – Saturday, July 20th
- OPG Electricity Day – Sunday, July 28th
- Teddy Bear Picnic – Saturday, August 10th
- Wonderful World on Wildlife with the River Institute – Saturday, August 17th
- Falling into Autumn with the River Institute – Saturday, September 21st
- Earth Rangers – Saturday, September 28th (showtimes at 11 am, 12:30 pm and 2 pm)
“All of our programs are family-friendly and free,” notes Mr. Mulvihill. “Whether you are interested in science and technology, community service, environmental research or history, the OPG Saunders Hydro Dam Visitor Centre has something for you!”
Hours of Operation
May 28 2019 – Aug. 29 2019 : Tuesday-Sunday : 9:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (closed Mondays)
Sept. 2 2019– Sept. 30 2019 : Monday – Friday : 9:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (closed Weekends)
The OPG Saunders Hydro Dam Visitor Centre is closed during the off-season (October to May).
The OPG Saunders Hydro Dam Visitor Centre is located in Cornwall’s west end at 2500 Second St. W. Simply continue all the way west down second street and follow the signage toward the centre.
45o 00’ 30.2” N
74o 47’ 1.4” W
About the St. Lawrence Power Development Visitor Centre
The Visitor Centre is located on the bank of the St. Lawrence River east of the Robert H Saunders Generating Station. This 13,000 square foot gold level LEED building opened in the summer of 2010 and is the new home of OPG’s many stories. It recounts the fascinating history of the St. Lawrence Seaway and Power Project and addresses its impact on specific communities such as the Mohawks of Akwesasne and the Lost Villages. There is a variety of video presentations available, and displays on hydroelectric, thermal and nuclear generation, safety around power facilities, the American eel and the St. Lawrence Seaway. As well, a community room is available for use by local organizations.
For more information on The St. Lawrence Power Development Visitor Centre please contact 613 932-4563 ex. 3520 or visit them online:
- Web http://www.opg.com/Pages/home.aspx
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/stlawrencevisitorcentre
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/opg